He has extensive experience in hip replacement surgery and is renowned in his field for expertise in performing challenging, complex hip and minimally invasive surgery (MIS) where his passion for perfection and a desire to aim for excellent patient outcomes and improved prosthesis survival is his key objective.
Innovation is at the heart of his work and he co–designed the Exceed ABT Acetabular system. He is also co-designer of the patented Exceed ABT 15° Face Changing Cup with Biomet Inc. This cup represents a shift away from conventional thinking in the treatment of developmental dysplasia of the hip as it requires the surgeon to position the acetabular shell in the hip socket and at the same time alters the liner bearing surface into an improved position to reduce wear.
He manages a research programme based on his hip surgery and this carries forward into his role as a chairperson and regular speaker at international conferences where his expertise in all aspects of hip surgery is transferred and debated.
- Consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery and Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer at the University of Bristol.
- North Bristol NHS Trust.
Southmead Hospital and Avon Orthopaedic Centre,
- Contact information
- General Medical Council Registration Number: 2695709
- University of Cape Town (Marine Biology) 1971–1975
- University of the Witwatersrand 1976–1979
- BSc (Cape Town) 1975
- MB BCh (Rand) 1979
- FRCS (Edinburgh) 1986
- Certificate of Higher Surgical Training in Orthopaedic Surgery (RCS Edinburgh) 1992
- Specialist Registration in Orthopaedic Surgery (Health Professions Council of South Africa) 1992
- Lillie Research Fellowship (Harvard University) 1991
- Revision hip surgery
- Complex primary hip replacements and resurfacing hip replacements
- Arthritis surgery of the hip and knee
- Prosthetic design: Exceed Acetabular System
- Minimally Invasive Surgery of the hip
- Joint Registers
- Medical Ethics
Membership Of Societies
- British Hip Society
- European Hip Society
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Orthopaedic Research Society
- European Orthopaedic Research Society
British Hip Society:
- Nominated as Orthopaedic Data Evaluation Panel 2003
- MIS assessor 2006
- Nominated for Clinical Excellence Award for 2008
Publications in the field of hip and knee arthroplasty.
Ongoing role participating in national and international meetings.
- Evaluation of irradiated bone chips in impaction grafting
- Cementless acetabular cup system
- Metal on metal hip articulating surfaces in cementless total hip arthroplasty
- Co–applicant for National Institute of Health (NIH) for metal on metal hip articulating surfaces
- Retrieval study
- International Kinemax knee outcome study (Contributing surgeon)
- Resurfacing hip replacement (national audit)
- Minimally Invasive Surgery (national audit)
- Radiographic evaluation following total hip replacement
International and National Orthopaedic Contributions
- Regional Clinical Co-ordinator - National Joint Registry
- Bearings Surface Evaluator - National Joint Registry (NJR)
- Committee Member - Orthopaedic Data Evaluation Panel (ODEP)
- UK Representative for the European Hip Society
- Scientific Committee member - European Hip Society
- Contributor and Member of the Advisory Group for the Donaldson Arthritis Research Foundation Center
- Affiliated staff member — Centre for Orthopaedic Biomechanics, University of Bath
- Affiliation with Cape Orthopaedic Reconstructive Unit (CORU)
- International Editorial Board Member for Reconstructive Review Journal
- Co–ordinator — European Arthroplasty Courses
- Co–ordinator — Bristol Hip Arthroplasty Course
- Journal reviewer — of Bone and Joint Surgery (JBJS) and Bone and Joint Research (BJR) Journals
- Journal reviewer — Hip International
- Advisor to the British Hip Society
- Advisor for the British Orthopaedic Association - Primary Total Hip Replacement: A Guide to Good Practice — published (2006)
- Executive committee member, and Co-Founder of the International Hip Resurfacing Society
- Faculty member Birmingham Resurfacing Hip Replacement Group
- Ethics committee member (2006-2009)
Recent Blog Entries
- European Federation of National Associations of Orthopaedics and Traumatolgy (EFORT) – 2016
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016
- Egyptian Pelvis and Hip Society 2016
- MAYO Arthroplasty Conference (MAC) 2016
- INTERNATIONAL COMBINED MEETING BRITISH HIP SOCIETY and SOCIETÀ ITALIANA DELL’ANCA 2015
- Bristol Hip Meeting 2014
- Bristol Hip Meeting 2013
- 'Everybody Counts’
- Arthroplasty for Arthritis Charity Re-launch
- Bristol Hip Meeting 2012
- European Hip Society – 10th Congress Milan
- London Hip Meeting 2012
- Bristol Hip Meeting 2011
- FDA Grant Award!
- British Hip Society Annual Conference 2011
To make an appointment e–mail Sue Misir, secretary to Mr Evert Smith, or telephone:
- 0117 907 4228 (private)
- 0117 323 5194 (NHS)
For an NHS appointment your GP will need to refer you. How?
Evert Smith is an Orthopaedic Surgeon in whom I have absolute faith and confidence.
Bob Gibbons, 2007.