Exceed ABT Acetabular system
The acetabular cup is:
- Minimally invasive surgery compatible
- Proven fixation
The acetabular cup addresses both the needs of primary and revision surgery. The surgeon can select ceramic, metal or highly crossed linked polyethylene large diameter bearings tailored to the patient’s needs.
The acetabular cup can be converted from a solid to a multi-holed option simply by removing the blanking plugs, thus allowing for supplementary screw fixation.
The improved stability 6, 7 and increased range of motion reduces the risk of dislocation and allows an increased arc of motion of the hip joint. The ability to use the Exceed cup with MIS instruments allows the surgeon to use both the anterior or posterior MIS approaches when performing hip replacements.
The ceramic and metal liners are stabilised using a morse taper system within the concave surface of the shell and a Ringloc retainer mechanism for the polyethylene liner.
Financially supported by Biomet Inc.
- Biomet Exceed Acetabular System
- Bourne RB, Rorabeck CH, Burkart BC, Kirk PG. Ingrowth Surfaces. Plasma spray Coating to Titanium Alloy Hip Replacements. Clin. Orthop 1994 Jan; 298: 37–4.
- Markel DC, Hora N, Milosic M, Grimm MJ. Initial Scratch Fit Stability of Acetabular Cups: Comparison of Three Porous Coating Systems. Presented at the 10th Annual ISTA Congress, Sept 25–27, 1997. San Diego, CA, USA.
- Soballe K, Toksvig-Larsen S, Gelinek J, Fruengaard S, Hansen S, Ryd L, Lucht U, Bunger C. Migration of Hydroxyapatite Coated Femoral Prosthesis. JBJS Vol. 75–B. No 5. Sept. 1993.
- Passuti N, Gouin F, Dlecrin F. Advantage and Disadvantages of HA Coating. Presented at the 3rd Domestic Congress of the European Hip Society, Beaune, France, June 25–27, 1998.
- Clarke IC, Good VD, Johnson SA, Philpatanakul W, Gustafson A. Hip Simulator Wear Comparisons of UHMWPE Cup Processing: Extruded and Gamma-Sterilized (Air) Vs Molded and Irradiated (Argon). Presented at 43rd AORS, San Francisco, CA, Feb 1997
- Postak PD, Trodonsky S, Froimson AI, Greenwald AS. Performance Characteristics of Two-Piece Acetabular Cups SeriesII. Exhibit at 62nd AAOS, Atlanta, GA, 1996
To make an appointment e–mail Sue Misir, secretary to Mr Evert Smith, or telephone:
- 0117 907 4228 (private)
- 0117 323 5194 (NHS)
For an NHS appointment your GP will need to refer you. How?
Evert Smith is an Orthopaedic Surgeon in whom I have absolute faith and confidence.
Bob Gibbons, 2007.